(Fashion’s Night Out via DC City Blog) – The style district of Washington DC, Georgetown, will transform into a shopper’s paradise on September 10, 2010 from 6 p.m. – 11 p.m. as over 60 Georgetown stores, restaurants and salons participate in an epic evening of shopping, entertainment and fashion events during the global shopping celebration, Fashion’s Night Out. From Cirque du Soleil performances around the neighborhood, live music, a chic lounge exclusively for shoppers, and even a Wii tournament, Georgetown’s Fashion’s Night Out promises shoppers a memorable evening celebrating the fashion industry in DC’s most stylish neighborhood.
“Fashion’s Night Out is one of the biggest and most exciting global fashion events to ever come to DC, and Georgetown is absolutely thrilled to be the neighborhood leading the efforts for DC,” said Nancy Miyahira, marketing director at the Georgetown Business Improvement District (BID), who is sponsoring and organizing the neighborhood-wide event. “Georgetown merchants are very enthusiastic about Fashion’s Night Out and are producing over 60 exciting events to entertain fashionistas and shoppers.”
Cirque du Soleil will be in Georgetown as their Bug Dance Squad inspired by OVO, a colorful group of costumed performers swarm the neighborhood’s cobblestone streets during DC’s Fashion’s Night Out. Shoppers will have the opportunity to watch and learn the OVO Bug Dance throughout the evening and even have a chance to win tickets to Cirque du Soleil’s upcoming performances of OVO in Washington, DC. OVO will begin on September 9.
Fashion’s Night Out shoppers will have a comfy (and chic) place to rest weary feet at the “vitaminwater zero Hydration Lounge” at Dean & Deluca which will offer a comfortable, energetic place to relax and enjoy a cool beverage. The Hydration Lounge will be located at Dean & Deluca at 3276 M Street NW and will be open from 6 p.m. – 11 p.m. during Fashion’s Night Out.
Fashion’s Night Out in Georgetown boasts over 60 unique, fashionable, don’t-miss events happening throughout the neighborhood. Examples of Fashion’s Night Out events include:
- “Juicy Boys” will greet customers at Juicy Couture with gourmet treats as shoppers enjoy fabulous fall merchandise and a gift-with-purchase fragrance with any purchase of $200 or more (full price only). 3034 M Street, NW
- Shoppers can enjoy refreshments and participate in Lacoste’s Nintendo Wii tournament, for a chance to win prizes while browsing what’s new for fall. 3146 M Street, NW
- Susan Calloway Fine Arts will host “The Art of Fashion” from 6 – 9 p.m., featuring live demonstrations of fashion illustration and techniques for painting on silk. Shoppers can enjoy nibbles and refreshments while checking out unique pieces from guest jewelry artists amidst a backdrop of figurative and fashion-inspired fine art. 1643 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
- Urban Chic will help shoppers get ready for fall with a Halston Heritage trunk show from 5 – 11 p.m. Shopperscan sip hand-crafted cocktails and nibble delicious treats with Urban Chic owner Lindsay Buscher and receive a gift with purchase. Later in the evening, DC style expert Kelly Collis Fredrick of CityShopGirl will be there to chat with guests about fall fashion trends. 1626 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
- For shoppers who build up an “Appetite for Fashion,” Farmers & Fishers will offer special fashionista-themed cocktails for $5 with all proceeds benefitting a local charity. Cocktails will be offered from 6 – 11 p.m. Diners will also receive a free dessert of their choice when showing $100 or more in receipts from participating Georgetown retailers. 3000 K Street, NW at Washington Harbour
- Fashionistas will flock to Proper Topper from 7-11 for a “fashion chat” with Jennfer Barger and Katherine Boyle of The Washington Post’s Fashion Washington and Post Express! Guests will be treated to champagne, wine and nibbles as they chat with two of The Post’s most respected fashion writers about interpreting fall trends and other topics. Proper Topper will also launch five new designer collections on Fashion’s Night Out: Study, H. Frederickson, E.Y.Wada, Stewart + Brown and Yoanna Barashi.
A complete list of events is attached.
The 2010 Fashion’s Night Out in Georgetown is hosted by a special committee of DC’s most style savvy media professionals, stylists and socialites including:
- Mary Amons – Labels for Love
- Jennifer Barger – Washington Post
- Annie Lou Bayly – DailyCandy
- Rachel Cothran – Project Beltway
- Jeff Dufour – UrbanDaddy
- Lynda Erkiletian – T.H.E. Artist Agency
- Kelly Collis Fredrick – CityShopGirl
- Angie Goff – WUSA-9 TV
- Lana Orloff – Washington Life Magazine
- Janice Wallace – The Capitol Fashionista
- Paul Wharton – Evolution Look
Fashionistas in Georgetown will have a mode of transportation other than their heels! All Blue Bus rides will be free for all Fashion’s Night Out attendees and designated stops will be in key event locations during the night of the event. Georgetown will also offer free pedicab rides when shoppers show a receipt for any purchase from a participating Georgetown merchant during the evening.
And the can’t-miss accessory this fall? Stylish, creative tote bags featuring the Fashion’s Night Out, Georgetown graphics. Throughout the evening on Fashion’s Night Out, participating Georgetown merchants and retailers will be selling chic, personalized Fashion’s Night Out tote bags from Shagbag for $10 with all proceeds directly benefiting Labels for Love, local DC-based charity that raises funds for and brings awareness to women’s and children’s charities.
Keep up with updates and information from Georgetown’s Fashion’s Night Out via Twitter at @FNOGeorgetown or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fashions-Night-Out-Georgetown-DC or online at www.FashionsNightOutGeorgetownDC.com.
About Fashion’s Night Out
Fashion’s Night Out (FNO) is an unprecedented global initiative created to celebrate fashion, restore consumer confidence, and boost the industry’s economy. In the United States, the program is a collaboration between American Vogue, the Council of Fashion Designers of America, NYC & Company, and the City of New York. On September 10, 2010, Fashion’s Night Out will return to New York City and launch in cities nationwide to put the fun back in shopping, with designer appearances, live windows, celebrity guests, and other special events. Around the world, and led by fifteen international Vogue editions (Australia, Britain, China, France, Germany, Greece, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Taiwan, and Turkey), each country will celebrate Fashion’s Night Out on one night between Sept 7 and Sept 16, 2010. Fashion’s Night Out will be the subject of a one-hour special on CBS on September 14, 2010. For more information visit www.fashionsnightout.com, powered by QVC, or join us on Facebook and Twitter (www.twitter.com/fnonyc).
About the Georgetown Business Improvement District
The Georgetown Business Improvement District (BID) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and enhancing the accessibility, attractiveness and overall appeal of Georgetown. Established in 1999 by its property owners and merchants, the Georgetown BID has more than 1,000 members. The organization is located in the heart of Georgetown in Washington, D.C and sets a standard of excellence in preserving historic charm while meeting contemporary needs. From marketing and special events, to transportation and streetscape, the Georgetown BID contributes to the vitality and quality of life in Georgetown. For more information please visit georgetowndc.com. Follow Georgetown on Twitter: twitter.com/georgetowndc.
Georgetown was named “Best Neighborhood for Shopping” in Washington, D.C. by Washington City Paper’s 2010 “Best Of” Reader’s Poll. The two-time winner also picked up 12 other wins and nine runners-up including “Best Cupcake” at Georgetown Cupcake, “Best Window Display” at Anthropologie, and runner-up for “Best Clothing Boutique” at Urban Chic.