(Komen Global Race for the Cure via DC City Blog) – Now in its 21st year, the millions raised by the Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure® continue to make a significant year-round impact on the National Capital Area. Susan G. Komen for the Cure® announced today that based on funds raised through registration, fundraising and sponsorships, it has invested $6.5 million in grants during 2009 and 2010 to local organizations that provide vital education, outreach, screening and support services for a diverse population of people in need.
“For more than 20 years, the Komen Global Race for the Cure has celebrated area breast cancer survivors and raised funds to help underserved people in the National Capital Area,” said Ambassador Nancy G. Brinker, founder and CEO of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and a D.C. resident. “With need growing, our help is in demand now more than ever. Together, we can make a real impact for the people of our community.”
Each year approximately 50,000 people participate in the Komen Global Race, including nearly 4,000 survivors, by running, walking, “sleeping-in” or volunteering. Up to 75 percent of funds raised by participants, participant fundraising and sponsorships go support local education, outreach and patient/survivor support efforts. The remaining 25 percent help Komen’s work around the globe to share knowledge and experience, and to fund education and breast health services in regions where few exist. In its 20 years, the Komen Global Race in the nation’s capital has resulted in more than $24 million in grants to local organizations. This is part of the more than $1.5 billion for research and community programs Komen has invested globally since its inception in 1982.
Komen’s National Capital Area investments are focused on three specific priorities:
- Removing cultural, linguistic and physical barriers that women face throughout the entire continuum of breast health care;
- Increasing access to breast health information and services to women living in neighborhoods with high poverty rates; and
- Engaging the faith community in ensuring the delivery of culturally competent breast health information and services.
The 2010 Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure® is scheduled for June 5, 2010, on the National Mall. For more information, including how to register to help make a difference, visit www.globalraceforthecure.org or call 703-416-RACE (7223).