Washington National Opera (WNO) celebrates its fifth season of free opera simulcasts at Nationals Park with the M&M’S® Opera in the Outfield performance of Don Giovanni on Saturday, September 29. Gates open at 5 p.m. for “pregame” activities, including
The Fly Ball, co-hosted by Kennedy Center MyTix and Brightest Young Things. The opera will be broadcast live from the Kennedy Center Opera House to the high-definition screen at the ballpark at 7 p.m. Seating will be available on the outfield grass and in the stands.
Attendees are encouraged to arrive early and enjoy the festive ballpark atmosphere. Beginning at 5 p.m., the special pregame entertainment will include:
- Stage-fighting demonstrations led by Don Giovanni fight master Robb Hunter
- Flamenco-dancing performances by Furia Flamenca, led by Estella Velez de Paredez
- For the first time, the Kennedy Center’s MyTix program (for people ages 18-30 and members of the U.S. military) will partner with the online magazine and event producer Brightest Young Things for The Fly Ball, a free pre-simulcast party in the ballpark’s 2 exclusive Stars & Stripes Club starting at 5 p.m. The event will include great prizes, a ballpark photo booth, concessions, a DJ, and a prime spot to enjoy the simulcast from the covered seating on the Club level. This party is recommended for guests ages 18-30. More information on The Fly Ball is at OperaintheOutfield.org.
- A meet-and-greet with the Chief Chocolate Officer (CCO) of M&M’S®
- A screening of the Warner Bros. cartoon “What’s Opera Doc?” starring Bugs Bunny. With a libretto set to Wagner’s iconic “Ride of the Valkyries,” this parody of opera is best known for Elmer Fudd’s proclamation “Kill the wabbit!”
- Chances to win prizes, including a VIP suite at Nationals Park for the next Opera in the Outfield, tickets to Kennedy Center performances, a year’s supply of M&M’S® candy, and more.
Registration for the free M&M’S Opera in the Outfield simulcast at Nationals Park begins today at OperaintheOutfield.org. Attendees who register in advance will be entered to win a Night at the Kennedy Center, including drinks, dinner, and premium tickets to the opening night of WNO’s Show Boat. (Registration is encouraged but not required for admission into Nationals Park; walk-ins are welcome.) Groups of 10 or more can call the Kennedy Center’s Group Sales Office at (202) 416-8400 to arrange for a reserved seating section at Nationals Park. The group’s name may appear on the video board during intermission.